Durham, NC, March 13, 2014 — Today, Foreword Reviews, the only review magazine solely dedicated to discovering new indie books, announced the finalists for its 16th Annual Book of the Year Awards. Each year, Foreword shines a light on a small group of indie authors and publishers whose groundbreaking work stands out from the crowd. Foreword's awards are more than just a shiny sticker on the front of a book; they help connect the best indie books to readers eager to discover new stories written by previously unknown authors.
Three titles by Durham-based publisher Light Messages were named finalists for the 2013 Book of the Year Awards. A Sinner in Paradise by Deborah Hining is a finalist in the Romance category. A Sergeant in the House by Betty Turnbull and Bonnwit Kabrit by Elizabeth Turnbull (Betty’s daughter) are both finalists in the Picture Book category.
In the next two months, a panel of over 100 librarians and booksellers will determine the winners of these prestigious awards. A celebration of the winners will take place during the American Library Association Annual Conference in Las Vegas on Friday, June 27 at 6 p.m. with awards in over 60 categories, cash prizes for the best in fiction and nonfiction, and widespread recognition.
Here is the complete list of Foreword Reviews' 2013 Book of the Year Award Finalists.
About Foreword Reviews: Foreword Reviews loves indie books and the art of great storytelling. They discover, curate, critique, and share reviews and feature articles exclusively on indie-publishing trends in their. Their website features a daily stream of reviews of indie books written by a team of professional, objective writers.
About Light Messages Publishing: We were founded in 1998 by a group of authors who believed that there had to be a better model than vanity or self-publishing for emerging authors. Today, Light Messages is a full-service general trade publisher located in Durham, NC.
At Light Messages, we might be small, but we’re good at what we do.
In 2013, over 50% of our titles hit the bestseller list at Amazon.com:
- Five Days of Fear by David Kovach
- The Obsidian Dagger by Brad A. LaMar
- Can't Buy Me Love by Summer Kinard
- A Sinner in Paradise by Deborah Hining
- Autobiography of a Baby Boomer by Robert Schultz
- Janjak and Freda Go to the Iron Market by Elizabeth Turnbull
How did we do it? Certainly not alone.
- We have a strong team and industry-leading distributors who help us get the right titles into the right hands.
- We work hard to create attractive, compelling books that speak to readers.
- We coach authors on how to build a strong audience.
- We select books with quality, meaningful stories to tell. And readers are catching on!
Preview our “next bestsellers.”